Thursday, August 28, 2014

Review | Accidentally Married

Accidentally Married by Victorine E. Lieske
Received from NetGalley
May 2014 by CreateSpace
314 pages
Amazon + Good Reads

"Madison Nichols, aspiring actress, is floundering. Her rent is due and she needs a job. Desperately. After getting a tip about an open position, she rushes to Jameson Technologies and meets CEO Jared Jameson. Unfortunately, due to a misunderstanding, she is put in the awkward position of pretending to be his girlfriend. Not the job she was applying for. And when she finds out Jared lied to her to get what he wanted, she decides to get back at him. In front of his family. Jared is stunned when Madison announces they are getting married. She pushed her revenge too far. How can he tell them it's all a lie? And when his sick aunt asks them to be married before she dies, Madison comes up with a hair-brained plan to hire an actor and stage a fake wedding. What they both don't know is Jared's father has found out about the fake wedding. And he's got his own hair-brained plan."
-Good Reads



I started this book and within three hours? I was finished. This book was super fast, super easy, and a lot of fun to read. I enjoyed the chemistry between the two characters, Madison and Jared. They complimented each other very well and I actually found myself smiling and laughing (gasp - out loud) during some of their interactions. 

The one point that really won me over about this story was that the premise was actually, kind of, believable. For the vast majority of romantic comedies that I read, I have to suspend belief for some portion of the book. Either the main character will act in a way that is totally out of character for him/her, or the plot is just too ridiculous to swallow. But this book? Yeah, I can actually get behind it. 

The ONLY point that made me cringe was the nickname that Jared gives Madison... seemingly out of nowhere. Maddie girl. Maddie. Girl. Why? Where the HELL did that come from? I think that my (new) biggest issue with the New Adult/Adult Romance genre is the nicknames that the MC men bestow on the women... that come out of nowhere and make no damn sense as far as the woman's personality or their relationship. Maybe if someone, somewhere called Madison "Maddie" at least one... but it never happened. It's like I'm having an acid flashback to Travis Maddox calling Abby Pigeon. /barf



But overall - this was a very cute read. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys rom-coms.

-Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment