Friday, July 26, 2013

Review | The Fifth Wave

The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey
Review by Jessica
May 2013 by Putnam Juvenile
457 pages
Amazon + Good Reads
5/5 stars

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.


-Good Reads


The Fifth Wave is one the the best books that I have read so far this year. Everything from the characters, the plot, the writing style, and the world building was absolutely phenomenal. There was not one aspect of this book that I did not enjoy.

For starters, the world that Rick Yancey built is very unique and so different from all of the other post apocalyptic books I have read. The way that the aliens are presented is like nothing I have ever read or seen before. I loved the way the author decided to the invasion in different waves instead of one big attack. It created suspense in guessing the next way the aliens would decide to weed out the humans.

The book switches between various points of views, which I thought was also very unique. It showed how different kinds of people were affected by the invasion from kids to teens to the actual aliens themselves. I loved being able to see both sides of the invasion and also different perspectives of the humans.

There was nothing that happened in this book that did not take me by surprise. Every time I though something would happen one way it went in a completely different direction. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time reading and was taken aback by how many mind blowing twists and turns there were. I have never read a book like this one, and I really loved it. The surprises in it mad me not able to put the book down because I wanted to now what would happen next, and what twist would take place after the other.

Hearing all the praise about this book made me skeptical, but I was completely blown away. There is not one thing about this book that I can complain about or would change. This is writing at its finest, and I can not wait to read more of Rick Yancey's work. I highly recommend this book to everyone and any kind of reader.



Did you enjoy this review? Head over to Jessica's blog for more by her!

No comments:

Post a Comment