Friday, January 3, 2014

Review | The Elite

The Elite (The Selection #2) by Kiera Cass
Review by Alyssa
April 2013 by HarperTeen
323 pages
Amazon + Good Reads

"The hotly-anticipated sequel to the New York Timesbestseller The Selection.

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending."

-Good Reads



Just a quick reminder - The Elite is the sequel to The Selection. I am writing this review with the assumption that you've already read The Selection. Please do not hunt me down if I include spoilers. You have been warned.

Oh, The Elite. I originally wasn't going to read you... In fact, I had my good friend Phil tell me all the details of you because, well, I hate sequels. In my very limited experience, the second book in a trilogy is typically filled with the most ridiculous subplots that have nothing to do with the main story - AKA, a whole lotta filler. And I braced myself for a vehement hatred of this book when really... it wasn't that bad. 

The plot moved a quick pace and kept me engrossed the entire time. So far, these books have read like an ABC Family drama... and I love it. There is a ton of drama, two hot love interests, and it doesn't really take itself seriously... so I can totally get behind the story and the characters. I'm not usually a huge fan of YA dystopian (in my humble opinion, it is over done) but Cass does a pretty good job of keeping that plot line as a subtext... I'm sure we'll get the low down in The One, but so far she hasn't really focused on it all that much. 

And we saw a whole new side of Maxon... and I know that a lot of fan girls are pissed off about it... but I'm giving props to Cass for keeping it real. Sure, this part of Maxon is less than desirable but it is so realistic. Honestly, America has been giving him the run around for how long and he's finally begun to enjoy his time with the other girls. I GET IT. He's only human and the fact that he's still waiting for America just shows how good of a guy he is. But everyone has their limits, c'mon now. 

Which brings me to the worst part of this book: America. This girl needs to sh*t or get off the pot. Aspen or Maxon... Maxon or Aspen... Pick. Stop being so damn greedy and make a decision or they're both going to move on and leave you behind. I think that we can all agree that the main love story is between Maxon and America... and poor Aspen is just being brought along to spice up the plot when things get dull. Put the poor boy out of his misery because I honestly can't take another, "Maxon is spending time with _________ and now my heart is broken. Oh, Aspen, there you are! How could I have ever forgotten my love for you!" (/swoon, /cry, /faint). And if she burst into tears one more time... 

But alas, I enjoyed this book. And once again I have no idea who America is going to end up with. But I know who I'll be rooting for...

MAXON.


-Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment