Friday, September 27, 2013

Review | Twisted Perfection

Twisted Perfection by Abbi Glines
Review by Alyssa 
(This audio book was received for review from Simon & Schuster Audio.)
August 2013 by Simon & Schuster Audio
Amazon + Good Reads

"My future was about to be completely thrown off track because Della Sloane was under my skin, and I had to have her. I couldn't ignore it anymore . . . Id gotten close enough to her to see deeper. 


Della Sloane is not your average girl. Yearning to break free of her dark and sheltered past and the memories of the illness that claimed her mother, Della plans a solo road trip to experience real life on her own terms. But the trip is nearly cut short in the little beach town of Rosemary when she realizes she cant even pump her own gasuntil Woods Kerrington shows up, more than willing to help out a pretty girl in need.

Woodss family wants him to settle down with a wealthy woman in pearls, but he cant resist this carefree girl in cutoffs passing through town. A one-night stand should have been enough, but months later, Woods cant get the irresistible Della out of his head.

When a twist of fate brings Della back to Woods, all signs point to trouble if they dont keep their distance. Neither is truly free, and a relationship could destroy both of them. With their hearts on the line, Della thinks the safest bet is to walk away. But Woods isnt about to let that happen . . ."
-Good Reads

This wasn't my first time reading (listening?!) to a book by Abbi Glines and certainly won't be the last time. I've come to recognize Glines as a name to know when it comes to the "new"-ish genre of "new adult." If you're not familiar with new adult, here's a brief explanation: think, contemporary romance for a college aged (and a bit older) audience. The romance that we know and love from the YA contemporary scene is still there but with steamier and sexier scenes. Basically, I love it and NA has quickly become a guilty pleasure for me. So, when Simon & Schuster Audio offered me a copy of Twisted Perfection, I jumped at the chance. 

The story follows two main characters, and the book is told from their alternating perspectives. Della Sloane is a sweet and slightly naive small town girl who, after escaping her over bearing mother's house, has embarked on a journey to find herself. After a series of events, she ends up in a coastal town and is thrust into Woods Kerrington's life - a rich playboy-ish bachelor who is being forced into an engagement to help further his family's business pursuits. As you've probably guessed, Della and Woods enter into a twisted relationship (heh, see what I did there?!). 

The story is what you would expect from a typical NA book. The standard sexual tension exists between the characters and, even though I expected it, it was hot. There is a lot more sex in this book than in books like The Vincent Boys so if you're not looking for a true NA book, I'd steer clear. But I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story kept me engaged and I couldn't wait to get to the gym because that is where I would primarily listen to the book... although, I couldn't help but feel paranoid that my ear buds would get ripped from my iPod and the entire gym would be treated to one of the steamy scenes between Della and Woods. 

As far as the voice actors go, I enjoyed them. I think that Della's reader was fantastic. She helped paint the picture of what was going on and I think that her voice matched the character of Della. The man who read for Woods has a super deep and gravelly voice which threw me off at first... and I couldn't get over each time he read a piece of Della's dialogue - he would speak in a high pitched, breathy, and whimper-y voice... It was odd. But over all, it was a good reading experience.

If you missed it before, I did create a Casting Call Saturday for Twisted Perfection. If you're curious, you can check out my picks here

Which Glines books have you read before? Let me know your top picks below so that I can check them out!
-Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment